Have you accidentally deleted a photo from your smartphone? Or has your memory card failed? Don’t panic. In most cases, it’s actually quite simple to retrieve your lost photos from your smartphone. Whether you have an Android smartphone or an iPhone, here is our pick of the best tools to recover your lost photos and files quickly.
Android Data Recovery is a popular choice of data recovery software for Android phones. It has been designed for all the big name brands (including Samsung, Huawei, LG, and Xiaomi). Using this software, you can recover lost image files, SMS, MP3 files, and more. It works whether you have accidentally deleted a file or if your memory card has failed.
If you want to recover your file using the app, this is what you have to do:
1. Install the Android Data Recovery app on your phone.
2. Connect your phone to a computer using a USB cable.
3. Start the device analysis by clicking the “Start” button.
4. Start scanning the device.
5. Follow the instructions to “restore deleted files”.
6. Go to the “Gallery” tab on the left side of the application interface.
7. Tick the files that you would like to restore using the “Restore” button.
Recuva is another well-known and easy-to-use tool for recovering deleted photos and other files. To restore files using this app:
1. Install the Recuva software on your computer.
2. Click on “Portable drive” to link to your smartphone.
3. Select “Pictures”. There’s also the option here to recover all deleted files at the same time. To do this, simply select the “All” option.
4. Recuva will start scanning your device for the lost files.
Once the scan is complete, the files that have been recovered will be displayed. They will be saved on the phone memory or on the SD card. Check through the saved files. If there are still files missing, turn on the advanced scanning option. This will take longer to perform but you should get back all your missing files.
Another option for recovering photos from your phone is DiskDigger. This app is different from the first two options as it is installed directly onto your phone. There’s a free version that you can download to recover JPG files, MP4 movies, and PNG images. Follow these steps to use DiskDigger:
1. Install and run the DiskDigger photo recovery app.
2. Select the type of files you want to retrieve using the “OK” button.
3. After your phone has been scanned, save the files that have been found using the “Save” button (floppy disk icon).
4. Confirm the found files you want to keep using the “OK” button to complete the process.
It’s harder to accidentally delete photos and videos if you have an iPhone. Every deleted photo or video will automatically go into a recently deleted album for 30 days. If you realise you’ve mistakenly deleted something before the 30 days is up, it’s easy to find it and restore it back into your saved file. To do this:
1. Open the “Photos” tab and go to “Albums”.
2. Open the “Recently deleted” album and tap “Select”.
3. Tap on all the photos and videos that you want to keep.
4. Select “Recover” and confirm to recover your files.
5. After following this process, your photos will be safely back in your main album.